Tamarind rice, Puliyodharai, Puliyogare, Pulihora is a rice made with tamarind along with roasted and ground spices. It can be made like a ready mix (Pulikachal) and mixed with cooked rice and served..
Puliyodharai is very tangy, spicy and tasty dish which can be a quick fix for a boring lunch.. You can mix it with rice and serve along with Chips or vadam and appalam.. It will be a great hit..
Simple yet satisfying.. Let’s gets started.
Roast and Grind:
Channa dal – 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
Urad dal – 1 tbsp
Peppercorns – 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
Red chilies – 5 to 6
For Tamarind Mixture:
Tamarind – 1 medium lemon size
Gingelly oil – 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dal – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Peanuts – a handful
Red chilies – 2 to 3
Asafoetida – 1 inch piece
Curry leaves a few
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1 tbsp
Jaggery – 1 small piece
Soak tamarind in hot water for half an hour.. Extract the juice.. and keep it aside. Roast all ingredients under roast and grind. Once they cool down, grind it into a slightly coarse powder and keep aside.
Take a heavy bottom kadai. Add gingelly oil, mustard, channa dal, urad dal, peanuts, red chillies and roast it till the dals turn golden brown.. Now pour the extracted tamarind water, curry leaves, asafoetida, jaggery, turmeric powder and the required salt and bring it to a boil.. once the raw smell of tamarind goes, add the ground masala powder and give a good mix. Make sure there are no lumps..
Let it start boiling.. Keep mixing in between till it forms a nice thick mixture.. Once it’s done the oil will start separating. You can then switch off the stove. Once the mixture cools down you can store it in a dry air tight container.
Mix this mixture with cooked rice and serve with Potato Onion Fry, papad, vadam, curd or chips.
1. Once you mix this mixture with cooked rice wait for 15 to 20 minutes then serve so that the cooked rice and the mix get absorbed well..
2. Always cool the rice before adding the mixture otherwise the rice may get soggy or may break as there will be more moisture..
3. Make sure you cook the mixture till oil separates because the more moisture in the mix, the lesser the shelf life.
4. You can store the tamarind mix or Pulikachal in refrigerator for longer shelf life.
5. Puliogare can also be done with leftover rice.